Homeowners in Texas know that severe weather can strike at any time. Major storms are more than a nuisance; they can cause hidden damages to any roof type leading to leaks and expensive repairs if they are not treated right away. It is vital to know what storms can do to your roof and what to look for after severe weather. Learn more from Austin roofing company.
What to Look For After a Storm
- Loose or missing shingles: After severe weather, make sure to check to see if high winds or tree limbs caused your roof to lose shingles. Shingles have weather stripping between them and if damaged that seal can become compromised leading to leaks and additional damage.
- Dented or damaged shingles: Hail can cause your shingles to become cracked, dented, or dimpled. Damaged shingles leave your roof more vulnerable to the elements.
- Loose granules: Heavy rains and winds can cause your shingles to lose their granules. Look for them in the gutter, below the downspouts, or in your yard.
- Check your gutters: Ensure that your gutters are still firmly attached to your home and are not filled with storm debris.
- Check the flashing around your chimney and in the valleys of your roof to ensure that it is intact.